Monday, March 1, 2010

Clicker thoughts

Props to the clicker group presentation! I found it very interesting to learn about clickers and how they can be used in the classroom. I have never had the experience of a class over the size of 50 students (as a student), and most courses I will potentially teach will be capped at 25-35 students. So, I have never really considered the use of a clicker. After the presentation, I can see how it would enable more engagement and interaction among students, as well as give some great 'in-the-moment' feedback to the instructor. However, I left class wondering 'what version of a clicker is next?' Would students get frustrated with compatibility issues or various 'versions' of a clicker as they continue to develop, get smaller, etc.?

1 comment:

  1. I also thought about using clickers. Even in ecology where topics may not be as controversial, I thought it would be a fantastic method to break up a class and force the students to answer questions. I get so tired of the blank stares when I ask questions in class, that I think this may be one method for having students answer questions. I also think that this could be a really fun way to break up a class and get students' attention back. Even in small classes, I think they could be a very useful tool. I also wonder about compatibility. I would think that all companies and versions should be made to be compatible, but unfortunately, technology never seems to work quite like that. I think I would be hesitant to require them if my department did not require them or have several other courses that require them.

    ReplyDelete